[Healeys] Classic names are part of Tata deal

rfeibusch1 at earthlink.net rfeibusch1 at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 28 09:11:03 MST 2008

Tony Lewin

Automotive News | March 27, 2008 - 6:46 am EST
Tata Motors will get the right use three classic British auto-brand names as
part of its $2.3 billion deal to buy Jaguar and Land Rover.

Included in the deal are the Rover name and the Jaguar-owned names of Daimler
and Lanchester. Ford bought the rights to the Rover brand name from BMW in
September 2006 for
>an undisclosed sum to ensure no other automaker could use it and cause
>confusion with the Land Rover brand.
>
>"We acquired the Rover trademark in the interests of protecting Land Rover,"
>said Ford of Europe spokesman John Gardiner. "So it's also in the interests
of
>the new owner of Land Rover to have it."
>
>BMW obtained ownership of the Rover name when it bought the Rover group in
>1994. In 2006, BMW refused a request from China's SAIC to use the Rover
brand
>name under license. SAIC had bought some assets of the ailing MG Rover group
>and now builds cars called Roewes in China.
>
>Jaguar acquired the rights to sell cars badged as Daimlers in 1960 from the
UK
>Daimler car company that was founded in 1896 and licensed by Gottlieb
Daimler