[Healeys] Oil Additive Question

BJ8 Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Thu Mar 27 06:11:24 MST 2008

I've only scanned over the Healey Marque article briefly, but my impression of
its conclusion is that modern oils are fine for our engines as is because oil
technology has replaced the ZDDP anti-wear additive with something just as good.
It mentioned a flat-tappet Nissan engine used in testing that did just fine on
the current oil formulations.  That would seem to refute earlier claims on the
list that old cams were destroyed quickly by using the modern oil without
ZDDP.
I don't believe I've ever seen an issue on the list where the more information we have on the subject, the more confusing it becomes.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA