[Healeys] 64 BJ8 Starting

Ron Fine RonFineEsq at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 22 13:33:39 MST 2008

When I started up my newly rebuilt BN7 engine I made sure there was oil in all
the journals and oil passages and that there was pressure from the oil pump
before actually starting the engine.   First, I removed the oil filter from a
spin on filter adapter and hooked up a hose to the place where the oil from
the filter enters the engine.  At the other end of the tube (about 24 inches
long) I had a large funnel into which I pored oil until it showed up at the
rockers.   By doing this I know that there was oil in all the channels and
spaces inside the engine that needed oil.   I then stuck the tube on the other
opening where the oil pump would be pushing oil into the filter to fill the
oil pump with oil.  I then pre filled the oil filter and reinstalled it on the
spin on adapter.
I removed the spark plugs and ran the starter for 10 or 15 seconds until the
oil pressure gage started showing pressure.  Only then did I reinstall the
plugs and start the engine.  It started almost immediately and oil pressure
was up within a few seconds.  It sure feels great when the engine starts after
all that work.  Good Luck and congratulations.
Ron