[Healeys] John Snyder, Paint job

Rich C richchrysler at quickclic.net
Sat Mar 22 11:05:35 MST 2008

As with a lot of these restorations, there's no such thing as loading up the
spray gun and aiming it at the project. That is the final 3% of the cost of
the job. It often takes untold hundreds of hours to get the panels to the
point where the final colour coat is applied.

There is no such thing as "just a paint job" on a Healey. Each panel must be
carefully prepared, prime indicator coats applied, more boarding and hand
sanding, more indicator coats, and so on. And this is assuming the base
metal is in excellent condition with whatever repairs had to be carried out
on them.

The darker the colour, the more preparation, therefore labour time is
needed.

I'd guess that probably $1700 or more of the $12,000 will be spent on
materials alone, and the rest will be intense labour, likely to the tune of
nearly 200 hours and what is the labour rate of the shop? $50.00 per hour
would be very cheap, and likely only from the "friend in the paint
business".

Pretty eye opening, woudn't you say?

Rich Chrysler