[Healeys] Dear GURU....SU fuel pumps

Bob Haskell rchaskell at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 17 03:50:12 MST 2008

Keith,

Reciting from the SU literature I have from 1962: It calls for an HP (high
pressure) pump for all 100s; spec AUA 50.

Quoting here:
"The 'L' type pump should be mounted in the region of the engine, at
carburetter level.  ...

The 'HP' type pump, because of it's high delivery pressure, is suitable for
mounting over the rear fuel tank...

Earlier 'HP' pumps were fitted with a coil housing of about 9/16 inch
greater length that 'L' type pumps; on current production the housing
length is the same.  On later 'HP' type pumps the earthing screw has been
reduced in size from 2 B.A. to 4 B.A., thus an 'L' type pump can be
identified by the 2 B.A. earthing screw.

Additionally, 'L' type pumps are normally fitted with a single-point
contact blade.

Production of the long-coil housing has ceased but it is still used in
reconditioning when a coil, similar to that used in short housing pumps,
but wound on the longer core, is used.  Long and short versions of the pump
are interchangeable, but because the components differ, ..., such pumps
carry a prefix to the specification number: AUA50 long housing pump, built
with a short-coil housing, becomes AUA 150.

The pumps are available in 6-, 12-, or 24-volt.

Quote off.

You might check with Burlen Fuel Systems in the UK.

Bob