[Healeys] Steel ball??

John Harper ah at jharper.demon.co.uk
Tue Mar 11 01:07:34 MST 2008

  Rich

You don't say if this ball came out of the crankcase or the water jacket
area? Perhaps you don't know but if it were oily as opposed to rusty
this might give a clue.

If it were as large as you say (1/2" diameter) then it is hard to think
of how  it might have got into the engine at all.

For example if it were into the filler cap then it would not have got
past the pushrods etc.

If it were in the water jacket then it could have been there since
manufacture. I have been amazed sometimes as to how much casting sand is
left in the bottom of a block after 50+ years. Not only sand but sand
supporting wire remains and various other unidentifiable remains that
could have been part of the sand casting core.

Commenting on other theories; I suspect that even if one tried; a 1/2"
diameter ball would not go through a relief valve.

My only other thought is could it have come from an oil filter head one
way valve and have broken loose? The only thing wrong with this theory
is that I still believe that 1/2" diameter would not have got though the
oilways.

Regards

--
John Harper