[Healeys] Door shut face finisher pieces resotration

Daniel and Diane White dwhite4949 at wowway.com
Sat Mar 8 14:48:34 MST 2008

Hello List,
I searched the archives looking for the proper technique to restore my
shut face finisher pieces and found a recommendation to use 00 or 000
steel wool then spray them with clear flat or semi gloss lacquer.  I
wasn't big on using the lacquer spray so here's how I did them.  First I
removed the areas of paint over spray and bits of factory adhesive from
the front side of the pieces using paint stripper.  Then rinsed.  Then
used a medium/fine Scotch Brite pad on the surfaces to clean them.  They
looked blotchy and now had a real shine to them (not the frosted finish
as when new).  So then I wet the surface and sprinkled on Comet Non
Abrasive Cleanser with Bleach, gave them a good scrubbing, rinsed with
warm water and  blotted them dry with paper towel.   They came out very
nice and best of all they have the nice frosted finish I wanted.  I
don't know why but it works.  Hope this helps anyone contemplating
redoing these pieces.
Regards,
Dan
'62 BN7 tri-carb