[Healeys] side shifter

Michael Salter msalter at precisionsportscar.com
Sun Mar 2 14:35:16 MST 2008

Hi Jim,
The syncros on the side shift gearbox are the same design as those of
the earlier top shifter and when in good condition should not cause the
problems that you describe.
Be aware as well that "crashing" of the gears will eventually lead to
their jumping out of gear as a result of the damage caused.
I would suggest that you check the following when you have the box out
to correct the problem.
1. End float of the input and main shafts and the laygear.
2. That the inside of the 3rd synchro ring or the tapered collar on the
3rd gear are not worn so much that there is no clearance between the
side of the gear and the ring when the ring is pressed firmly into
place.
3. That the ring is not cracked through
4. That the three ears on the ring are not worn appreciably

As far as I am aware the sintered steel rings cannot be used on gears
designed for brass. I believe that the later gears had a different angle
on the syncro face and the face was of a different (probably harder)
material which I have seen flake off later gears.
Hope that helps.

Michael Salter
In New Zealand
To get out of the Canadian winter

Subject: [Healeys] side shifter

i have noticed that my bn6 with side shifter seems to shift less
smoothly than
the bj8.  it will grind slightly going from 2nd to 3rd if i do not
hesitate
slightly when shifting.  is this a normal thing or are my synchros
getting
worn.  they looked good when i had the trans apart, but i was not
familiar
with the brass synchros and may need to replace them.  everything else
in the
trans looked really good and so far no problems other than this one.
can you
put steel synchros in these older side shifts with no problems?  TIA
jim