[Healeys] BJ8 Under carpet material??

Mr. Bill BN1 at pacbell.net
Sat Mar 1 12:19:52 MST 2008

Hi Robert,

About 10 years ago I was struggling with the same problem with my BN1
restoration.  Many people then and now are using Dynamat (spl?) which is
EXTREMELY expensive.  Back then I was purchasing halogen running lights
from the late Dick Brill, Esq. He came to my rescue suggesting Smoker
Blankets.  "If ya wanna get laffed outa town",  walk into any barbecue,
outdoor stove, etc.store in So. Cal. and ask for one.  BTDT!

Finally I appealed to Dick and he sent me two for IIRC $2.50 each.
There was enough of there to do the whole driver's side and the gearbox
tunnel.  (The passenger side is not a problem since the exhaust is
nowhere near it.)  I have always liked to drive barefoot and, believe it
or not, I can now do it in the Healey nearly all day long!  The throttle
heel will get a little warm, but with a pad, proves no problem.  Be
advised that it is fairly thick, more so I think, than the original hair
and jute like padding.

Maybe someone from Down South has tried the same.  Or, could send you a
couple for $5.00 and a little shipping.

Worked for me, but mine is a Driver, not Concourse.

Bill Barnett
Santa Ana, CA
'53 BN1 #663 for cool feet