[Healeys] Update on my Nash Healey project.

F. Ronald Rader f.ronald.rader at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 22:50:17 MDT 2008

Since I have been asked..

I purchased the car last November and sent it to my local shop to insure its
road worthiness.

Unfortunately do to a lot of reasons I got the car the day before I left for
the CA Mille in April.

Short version: DNF. Severe transmission failure.

The car was shipped back to LA to complete a new list of needed items before
its next outing.

First we found a Tremec full syncro 5 speed (overdrive) transmission to
replace the mid 1930 technology of the original 3 speed plus vacuum
overdrive. This required creating a new attachment to both the engine and
the torque tube. This required all new brackets because the old ones
crumbled upon removal. This project seems to be going nicely.

Also the entire interior has been removed to water proof and insulate the
passenger compartment as I have done on the BJ8 and E type. Cool Mat and
Dynamat every where.

A new hydraulic clutch with heavier duty clutch and pressure plate has been
installed. Second rebuild of the generator and starter. New 6 volt battery.
All new wiring from Rhode Island wiring. Clean up all of the light sockets
and grounds. New turn signal and stop light bulbs on the way.  Complete
rebuild of the heater and fresh air vent system. New rear shocks.  New tires
(radials) new chrome wire wheels (Kelsey Hayes type). New side window glass
and side vent glass.

Basically at this point most of the electric systems and running gear has
been fixed, restored, replaced, or made new. The goal was to take it to the
Quail rally mid August but after thinking that thru I think I am going to
take the E type again and continue to road test the Nash Healey. The new
goal is to have it totally road worthy and reliable in time for the "going
to the sun" rally in Montana the first week of September.

I am hoping to get it from the shop this weekend for some serious road
testing and of course a new list.

Time permitting I may be able to do the interior before we go. If not the
interior and paint will be done this winter.

Ron rader

Playa del Rey CA