[Healeys] On Route 66 to Conclave, Day 9

Bob Brown blkbt7 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 30 08:44:16 MDT 2008

Day 9 - Sunday, We have arrived in San Diego!  Left Needles, CA about 6 AM to
beat some heat, it was 90 at 5:45AM, after the 104 at 10 PM the night before.
Perol in Needles is $5.15 foe 87 octane. A dhort detour back in tha AZ brought
the price down to a reasonable $4.11.
Took RT 66 to Barstow, missed a
breakfast stop and continued on, about an hour later we stopped at a roadside
resturant in the middle of nowhere, looked crowded for a SUnday AM so we
stopped. In the parking lot we were told of an accident earlier in the AM that
had closed the road, no practical way aroubd so stopping to eat was agood
idea. After breakfast a new arrival in the resturant repeated the closed road
story, well we neded to get moving. As we walked to the cars, in came the road
crew that had just completed the cleanup, open road ahead:)
Hot but a good
drive into San Diego, we arrived just before 2 PM, what a change in weather,
very pleasant. 250 some miles today, a little over 2500 for the trip. Now for
4 days of Conclave activties before the planned 3 day run back to Chicaqgo,
doubt if I will have time to document that trip :(
Bob