[Healeys] front calipers

T W ah3000me at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 04:42:33 MDT 2008

I have 40+ year old rubber in my front brake calipers.   The PO replaced the
rear wheel cylinders, the master cylinder, and all the flex lines, so this
is the last bit of old rubber in the brake system.    The PO also changed
the fluid over to DOT 5.

I'd like to replace the seals in the front calipers, and I have a few
questions.

How hard is it to pull the two caliper halves apart?

Since there are pistons in both halves, do these calipers tend to have
problems with the  fluid passageways clogging over time?

Some of the big auto parts list rebuilt calipers for these cars at pretty
reasonable prices.  I like pulling things apart -- but would I be better off
with a rebuilt caliper?

thanks for any advice,

Tom