[Healeys] On the Road to Conclave (Day 2)

BJ8 Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Mon Jun 23 17:19:19 MDT 2008

Hello, Healeyphiles -

The Haywood and Byers Conclave Contingent covered about 370 miles today and it was all interstate driving, except for the last 30 miles, so there is not a lot of interesting stuff to report.  All indications are that the probability of a deer surviving an attempt to cross a road in Georgia is not very high.
Some things never change, including the perpetual road construction on the interstate highways around Atlanta.  It did appear that the traffic on I-20 leading up to Atlanta was very much lighter than normal, so perhaps there is some good coming from the high gas prices.   So far, all the gas prices are cheaper than they are in our part of North Carolina, though.  I'm sure that will change soon.

When we got off the interstate, the coolant temperature of my car went down 12 degrees in about 5 minutes.  My personal temperature went down about the same amount, too.

Today's AD- HOC figure (Actual Data - Healey Ogling Comments):   I got one "Gorgeous!", and the Haywoods got two "Beautiful!" (s).   Those folks said the cars weren't bad, either.... ;^)
At the Alabama Welcome Center, we got a double "Wow!".  I believe TARHEELY collected two 1/2 votes as the car of choice (from what I took to be 4 or 5 year-olds), and the Haywood BJ8 (as of yet nameless, but we're working on it) got a full vote from the father.  There were numerous thumbs up, hand waves, honking of hooters, and it seemed to me that the rest of the traffic was especially courteous to us poor Healeys on merging, etc.

Here in Tuscaloosa we pick up US 82 and will follow it out to New Mexico.

Happy Healeying!
Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry