[Healeys] octane needs for 2006 Mini Cooper S

Randy Dickson rdickson at midwestarchaeology.com
Mon Jun 23 15:38:38 MDT 2008

Jack,
I have a 2006 Cooper S with almost 50,000 miles on it. I was putting 91
octane in it and went back to 87 to save money since I pile on the miles
with my job.  To be honest, I couldn't tell the difference.  I suppose that
the engine knock sensor adjusts (retards I assume) the ignition with fuel
octane.  I had the car up to 6000 rpm yesterday and did not notice any
knocking whatsoever.  I didn't notice any better mileage with a higher
octane fuel either.
I have had no problems with this Mini other than the window motor.  It is an
absolute blast to drive and much more reliable than the 1967 race-prepped
Cooper S that I drove in college.  That car was the terror of the sidewalks
in my town.  At least I don't have to replace the brakes and the external
hinges every spring anymore.

Randy
Healey-Archaeologist
63 BJ7