[Healeys] Undercoating

andy pole ampole at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 23 12:54:50 MDT 2008

While I can see both views, concours against fully wrapped in waxoyl etc there
does seem to be a 3rd option.

My car is being returned to 'original' condition and made a bit more user
friendly due to the benefits of 40+ years of progress. I want it to look
original so the chassis was shot blasted and given a coat of etch primer, then
all floor bottoms, sills, inner wings and leading edges (front of frame, cross
brace etc) were given a coat of stone chip (that thick goey black paint)
before being primed and coated in 2 pack healey blue. The outer body will have
the same on the shroud and wing bottoms (just like a modern car). The chassis
looks like its original (to the casual observer) and should hopefully stand up
great to frequent use.

http://www.austin-healey3000.com/apps/photos/photo.jsp?photoID=5133183

This can all be done at home and etch primer and stone chip can all be
purchased in cans. I have sprayed the black radiator baffles / air deflectors
this way. Its not hard with a power sander to strip the inner wings, and give
them a coat of rust converter if they need it.

cheers Andy