[Healeys] Ethenol from Time Magazine

WILLIAM B LAWRENCE ynotink at msn.com
Thu Jun 19 17:59:11 MDT 2008

What everyone glosses over is that ethanol is a piss poor motor fuel
containing only about 65% of the heat capacity of gasoline and much less
than fuel oil. The price increase may only be 30% of the increase in
gasoline, but if you are lucky you will only about break even in the fuel
economy comparison. My old Rover gets about 18 miles per gallon on unblended
fuel, but drops to 15 MPG on the winter ethanol blend. The more ethanol the
lower the fuel economy. The energy produced by a fuel depends on the number
of carbon/hydrogen bonds that are broken in the combustion process. I don't
care what fuel you choose the energy produced will be limited by that
immutable fact.

Bill Lawrence.