[Healeys] Black Plates

BJ8 Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Thu Jun 12 16:57:44 MDT 2008

As a sort of follow-up to my post about the benefits of having available a
record of the ownership history of a car, as well as to the license plate
thread:

Back when it was still possible to do so without jumping through hoops (it's
still possible, with some minor hoops), I got a list of the former owners of
my '73 MG Midget from the NC DMV.   When I contacted the original owner in
1990 (who bought the car as a college graduation present for his daughter
and sold it in 1976), he sent me the original Driver's Handbook, Passport to
Service with the metal registration plate, and the original 1973 NC license
plate for the car.
In another month it will be time to renew the registration, and since the
Midget is now 35 years old it will qualify to have a Year of Manufacture
plate on it.  Finally, the original 1973 plate (known as "White Plate With
Red Letters") can be installed again.  And no proof required that it was
ever on the car previously, either, although I have that.  No more safety
inspections and never have had an emissions inspection for my old cars.  As
the song goes, "I like calling North Carolina home".

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA