[Healeys] Black Plates

Editorgary at aol.com Editorgary at aol.com
Wed Jun 11 12:53:42 MDT 2008

I also have Calif "black plates" on my 1960 BN7. They were on the car when I
got it, since the car had been continuously registered with that number from
its original sale. I assume they were put on the car by the original owner in
1963, when Calif switched from black on yellow plates to yellow on black
plates, and then left on when the state realized how expensive it was to switch
everyone's plate whenever they decided to switch colors.
That, by the way, is why the phrase "original black-plate car" often appears
in for-sale ads. It indicates that the car has been continuously maintained
and registered as a California since the early 1960s. Seems to me there is
legislation pending that would allow "Year of Manufacture" plates to be used on
cars built after the black plates came into existence, but afaik that isn't
possible yet. I think YOM plates can only be used with cars build before 1963.
Anyone with more interest can easily check the Cal DMV website and look up the
regs on YOM plates.
Cheers
Gary