[Healeys] Overdrive Relay

Peter Schauss schauss at worldnet.att.net
Sun Jun 8 18:16:34 MDT 2008

Ron,

Mine has the bakelite side toward the front of the car with three terminals
facing upward and one facing down.  Wiring is as follows:

W1 - black (ground)
C1 - White with a green stripe (two wires)
C2 - White (two wires)
W2 - White and purple (2 wires)

C1 and C2 on my car are the reverse of what is on the wiring diagram in the
manual.  Since these are the relay contacts they are interchangeable.

One useful modification (based on Norman Nock's recommendation) is to add an
in-line fuse to the white wire which runs from the unfused side of the fuse
block to C2 (or C1 if you have it wired that way).  This will protect your
overdrive solenoid from burning out if cut-out contacts for the pull-in
winding do not open when the solenoid is activated.

HTH,
Peter Schauss
1963 BJ7
1980 MGB