[Healeys] Healeys Digest, Vol 2, Issue 341

John McKeever healeys4me at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 5 19:21:00 MDT 2008

Joel,

Great points and I agree. It's all about exposure, time on the road and attending all types of car events. My son who is now 22 runs around with the Mazda RX7 crowd. When he was in high school, we restored a TR 6 and he still gets a kick driving top down and bugs in your teeth roadsters. Even gets a lot of attention at import car shows. We have to keep it real and think out of the box when it comes to our cars. My BJ8 is on the road every week and I notice young kids jaws drop when I motor by. The problem is when the kid asks their dad what just went by, dad responds "I don't know"....

John

Richmond Va

I'm 37 and bought
my first Healey 2years ago (just now finishing the restoration...sold a
new Porsche to finance the restoration).  The list has been a great
source for me (esp. Rich, who goes out of his way to pass on the
correct info.).  I think there is a "crop" of young enthusiast, but the
cost of getting into the game is prohibitive for many.  In addition,
most younger enthusiast, like myself, didn't grow up around these cars
and inherit the mechanical knowledge that's beneficial to have for
ownership, which can seem overwhelming.

I just attended the
British Field Meet in Vancouver BC, and the crowd was made of people of
all ages who have interest in these cars.

I feel that part of
the joy of ownership is sharing the experience with others, which
doesn't happen much when a car sits in the garage.  My plan is to keep
it on the road where it was meant to be...letting the youth of today
see a Healey maybe for their first time and sparking that desire that
makes them say "someday I'm going to have one of those"...(the few
times I had the Healey out before the restoration, I got more looks,
smiles, thumbs up, etc. then I ever got in the flashy Porsche...and I
had just as much fun in the Healey)

Joel
BN2