[Healeys] oil pressure

Richard Ewald richard.ewald at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 22:56:05 MDT 2008

The bypass valve and spring only limit the maximum pressure, they do not
control the pressure at idle (Unless the valve itself is leaking)
Low indicated oil pressure at (hot) idle can be from just a few sources:
inaccurate gauge
worn oil pump
leaky bypass valve
oil pump pickup sucking air
worn main bearings
wrong weight oil / low oil level.

I have never tried the following on a Healey, but if you suspect a leaky
bypass valve, one trick we used to use on MGB and Spriget engines was to
remove the nut that holds the spring and valve.  Make sure the valve face is
clean, if in doubt crank the engine to flush the passage way.  Reinstall the
valve, and drop a short 1/4X20 bolt inside the spring.  Reinstall spring and
nut.  The thickness of the bolt head will increase the pressure on the
valve.
You should see an increase in cold oil pressure, and if the valve was
leaking, maybe an increase in hot oil pressure.