[Healeys] Tri-Carb choke cables - securing

Al Fuller al at bighealey.org
Mon Jul 28 17:13:29 MDT 2008

The choke cables on my '62 Tri-carb have been messed-about by prior owners,
and will not stay seated in the brass mounting on the carburetors OR in the
lever barrel at the upper ends.  The result is that once the engine is
warmed up and I want the choke back in, the cable sheaths jump out of the
mounts at the carburetors and push away from the barrels at the upper ends -
allowing the cable centers to bow instead of pushing the choke levers back
down, and as a result this holds the chokes open.

At the upper ends, the lever ends of the cables appear to be missing the bit
that transitions from the cable sheath to the interior cable body.  I think
those are supposed to hold the cable in the barrel, so the cables are
flopping about at that end, too.

SO - the questions are whether these cables can be repaired [if so, how],
and what is supposed to hold the cables in the carb and in the barrel?
There is no black plastic covering any of the cables, so if it was supposed
to serve that function, I will need another approach.  My first thought is
that I can solder the ends down at the carb, but I would still have the
upper ends to deal with.

Thanks in advance,

Al Fuller

'62 BT-7 Tri-Carb

Fuller Compliance, LLC

Quality Systems Consulting

Software Quality, Validation + 21 CFR Part  11

714.335.0248

www.fullercompliance.com