[Healeys] Synthetic Oils

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sat Jul 26 06:56:16 MDT 2008

Hi Fred,

You'll get lots of opinions (the List has been slow lately ;).  I've
done some research and given it a lot of thought and have come to the
following conclusion: if you drive a lot of highway miles--say, 2K+ a
month (not likely with a Healey)--then synthetic would be cost effective
and labor-reducing with extended oil changes (6K+ miles).  If not--i.e.
you do more "city" driving and put less than 2K miles a month on your
car--then use mineral oil and change more often (3K miles).  I do use
synthetic oil in the gearbox and differential of my Healeys, however.
My new Mustang calls for semi-synthetic (5W-20!)--which is a reasonable
compromise and I can get it for $2/qt--and 7,500 mile oil changes (no
way I'll go that long--I do mostly city driving with it).

Bottom line is mineral oil and synthetic both accumulate moisture and
acidic compounds, especially from city driving (short trips).  Best to
change a "city" car's oil every 3-4 months regardless of miles, although
I go longer with my Healey because I do almost all highway miles in it.

BTW--whatever you think of WalMart--they have the best price on oil that
I've found.

bs

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net