[Healeys] Steering - bearing race repair?

Alan Seigrist healey.nut at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 18:43:29 MDT 2008

Hi All -
I asked this on the Jag-lovers forum but they aren't as technically minded
as everyone here, so I will ask the question again here.  My question is
somewhat universal.

I have a '59 Jag MkIX which is in great shape.  That being said the power
steering box needs a little work.

I pulled the worm gear out of the Power steering box and the only thing that
is wrong with it is the gear has a ball bearing race on it which the race is
worn from when the car drives in the straight ahead position.  All that
needs to be fixed is the bearing race.

It needs a little bit of material to be built up in it, than lathed down and
then either nitrided or some other sort of hardening process like that.

I took it to the local HK crankshaft guy but he couldn't get his metal
sprayer equipment in tight enough on the race to fix it.  Is there anyone
out there that you know of that can do work like this, and do it properly?

Alan

'52 A90
'53 BN1
'64 BJ8