[Healeys] car Insurance Disclaimer---Legit???

Richard Collins gonnagitcha90 at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 18 10:36:03 MDT 2008

My current car insurer, Leland West, which requires photos of the insured car
and the "Locked" garage it is stored in, just wrote me a letter advising me it
would not insure my cars while stored on, below or while working on or near my
car lift.  The lift appears in one of the 4 photos I had to send them of the
garage.  I am not pleased with this situation.

I have 2 questions for the gang:

A.  Has anyone else had to sign off on such an agreement with any other
insurance company?  (hagarty, Grundy, etc)

B.  Has anyone seen such a disclaimer warning from any of its lift
manufacturers?

LeLand is notorious for basically having an endless list of things in both
large and fine print they won't insure against or will decline payment should
a claim be filed (I've never filed a claim---yet).  My lift is a
Revolution---Made in America, and one of the few approved by the AAMA and
other large underwriters and associations. Sure we've all seen the collapsed
lifts in marketing pitches by the different selling manufacturers but what is
the risk factor?

Fortunately car insurance is an un-emotional business in that it you can drop
them as easy as they can drop you.  I am stuck with Leland (unless I refuse to
sign the release) until next February when I can shop around again.

Richard of KY
1960 BN7