[Healeys] Question for Shop Owners / Restorers Only - OD Throttle

Quinn, Patrick Patrick.Quinn at det.nsw.edu.au
Thu Jul 17 18:24:44 MDT 2008

G'day

I think I have said this before, but I can imagine all you blokes out in
your cars pussyfooting around when changing in and out of OD.

Properly maintained, the Laycock de Normanville overdrive is a robust
piece of machinery. The same goes for the complete drivetrain of any
Austin-Healey, whether it's fitted with an OD or not.

Over the years I have had ODs in many different states of repair and I
must say it's one of the most endearing aspects of AH ownership.

When the OD electrics in the BN3 were completely stuff I straightened a
wire coat hanger, drilled a small hole in the gearbox tunnel, climbed
underneath to attach the wire to the lever and afterwards operated the
OD by hand.

When did I pull the wire? When I was accelerating.
When did I push the wire for direct drive? When I was accelerating.

When the car was restored and the OD was working as it should.

When did I flick the switch? When I am accelerating.
When did I flick the switch for direct drive? When I am accelerating.

When I am decelerating I may just blip the throttle slightly to bring
the revs up. Not unlike what I do when I change out of cruise control
(best invention since sliced bread) in our modern automatic.

PLEASE stop fartarsing about with your cars and get out and use them as
they were intended. Drive them in all sorts of circumstances and only
then will you know what they are capable of.

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn
Sydney, Australia