[Healeys] Overdrive

Wayne Waschu2 at charter.net
Tue Jul 15 11:49:40 MDT 2008

Hi Everyone,

                     Since it was asked, I vote for lifting one wire
off  of the throttle switch. I hate having to fiddle with the throttle
to get the overdrive to disengage. Both of my Healey's have been like
this for many years. I treat the overdrive like a fifth gear, lightly
touching the clutch when going in and out of overdrive. It's very easy
to avoid rapid decelerations coming out of overdrive , something I was
not always able to avoid using the throttle switch.  Past  cars of mine
like my P1800, MGB and TR-6 never has a throttle switch. I agree that
the reverse interlock switch is critical and will prevent damage to the
overdrive. Lastly with Chinese  relays, throttle switches, overdrive
solenoids, voltage regulators and DB-10 relays for the lights,  putting
in a new part may generate new problems. I would rather have an original
Lucas part cleaned and reused then the current Chinese crap.  Always
save your original parts, often taking them apart cleaning the contacts
and removing years of dirt will restore them ready to work another 40
years. Read Norman Nock's tech book on restoring the Lucas battery
switch and how to adjust voltage regulators for an example of this.  I
will never make fun of  Lucas electrics  again! If the Lucas switch is
is labeled off, dim and flicker, the Chinese switch is labeled off and
broken but cheap.

Wayne