[Healeys] Gas mileage to conclave

Alan Seigrist healey.nut at gmail.com
Sun Jul 13 20:34:06 MDT 2008

Marty -

I doubt Ethanol Mix would reduce your mileage that much unless you were
using E85, which you can't use unless you have a flex fuel vehicle.  If you
were using E10 (quite possible) it should only reduce mileage about ~3%.

With respect to corn ethanol - I think pretty much everyone agrees this is a
boondoggle (except corn farmers of course), but then again getting a process
started with corn is easy and fast and now I think the country is looking to
switch to sugar cane and sweet sourghum in the near future, and eventually
switchgrass.  For diesel the bio fuel source most commonly used is rapeseed.

Ethanol is NOT good for Healeys because it is a very good solvent and thus
tends to deteriorate natural rubber and cork gaskets - which means it will
degrade pretty much any SU carburetor out there except possibly the HS4 and
HS6 (used only on MkIIs).  This is moot because the standard fuel flex line
used in Healeys is rubber, and the standard SU fuel pump uses a rubber
diaphram.  For more info have a look here:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3251/is_5_235/ai_n25474139

Until the US is willing to make the effort like Brazil to create a true flex
fuel standard platform in their vehicles, ethanol is more or less a bit
wasteful.

Avoid at all costs!

Best,

Alan