[Healeys] Distributors and Rotor Caps

sebring at illawarra.hotkey.net.au sebring at illawarra.hotkey.net.au
Sun Jul 13 19:54:11 MDT 2008

Just a few points to consider. If the major 'fault' with Lucas is the shaft
wear the points gap would at least be most inconsistent or non-existant and
Healey would not start or go before physical contact would be made with the
plug wire internal contacts.I have cracked one rotor cap in 40 years with 4
cars and even then I put the missing piece back into position with two or three
turns of electrical insulation tape and drove home. The most significant rotor
button failure I have heard of was the works HEALEY 3000 ARX91B that was
beating the Ferrari GTO at 1965 Targa Florio (driven by Aussie Paul
Hawkins .After he sprinted back to the pits for a spare he was informed it was
in the door pocket....I believe Paul said "damm !" So I guess they do fail but
in this case not due to shaft wear. Look for the simple cause first.
Joe