[Healeys] Missfire followup 1

Alan Seigrist healey.nut at gmail.com
Sat Jul 12 22:57:36 MDT 2008

Phil -

When you have metal shavings under the cap that almost always suggests your
distributor is in complete need of a rebuild as the dizzy bushings are
completely shot - the shaft is wobbling and the rotor has come in contact
with the dizzy's cap.  Your distributor is completely shot - and could also
explain the weird puffing at high temps - if the points gap is all over the
place (from the wobbly shaft) when the car gets hot the wobble will cause
the gap to very and sparking across the gaps will weaken the spark.

There are a couple ways to go with this.  I personally like the first, but
Jeff at Advanced distributors is first class also:

1) This very reliable aftermaket distributor bolts right into your Healey.
Will make it run better than ever.  Pertronix 6 cyl D177600 -
http://www.lbcarco.com/cgi-bin/gen5?runprog=lbcshop4&page=/pertronixdist.html&o=&a=

or

2) Rebuild the one you have at Advanced Distributors -
http://www.advanceddistributors.com/

Cost is about the same either way, its just a question of if you want to
stay original and fiddle with points or go with something non-stock and will
not need regular maintenance.

Good Luck,

Alan

'52 A90