[Healeys] DMH Award-Some History

CAWS52803 at aol.com CAWS52803 at aol.com
Fri Jul 11 19:22:44 MDT 2008

Just a bit of history on the DMH award.
Back when I was a lot younger in the year 1989 for the Conclave at Niagara, I
was contacted by Conclave chairmen Paul Jordan and John Lomax.  In respect
and to honor Donald who had passed away, there should be a Memorial Trophy.  I
called Bic Healey in England to get his blessing, which of course he did,
saying it just must be a tasteful award.
Using the pewter model of Walt Blanck's 100, I had it embedded in a large
Lucite column and mounted on a wooden block.  Then I had them etch the words on
the reverse side.  It arrived at my home just weeks before Conclave.  I checked
it over carefully to see that Healey was spelt correctly only to find the
middle initial was an N.  How could it be corrected in time?  The company removed
about 1/8" of the entire rear face of the Lucite and recarved it correctly.
It arrived back in my hands with only days to spare.
It has been interesting to see how it has moved around the country, with even
my old Region, the Northeast winning once.  Maybe it will return to Canada
next year when Conclave is in Ontario.
Rudy Streng
Lenoir, NC
BN 4 - AN5