[Healeys] Anyone else have a non-overdrive tranny on their BJ8?

Leonard Hartnett thehartnetts at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 7 15:28:01 MDT 2008

Jim:  My Heritage certificate states, under "other information", "...This
car was originally fitted with engine no. 29K RU H / 13594 with overdrive
gearbox but this was changed before dispatch from the factory...".  The
certificate notes that it is LHD, North American export and, not stated, my
car has a non-adjustable steering wheel.

I can only guess as to why the original owner of my Healey chose to not have
overdrive.  He lived in Spain and perhaps the Spanish roads in 1967 did not
warrant the cost or use of the overdrive.  I further understand that he was
physically handicapped, which would probably exclude his being US military,
but I do not know if this had any bearing on his decision.  BJ8 registrar
Steve Byers and I have been unable to identify the original owner.

(The Other) Len
Vacaville,  California,  USA
1967 3000 MKIII, HBJ8L39031