[Healeys] 3.5 Rearend (was Re: On the Road Home from Conclave (Day 4))

John H jhomonek at mindspring.com
Mon Jul 7 13:36:54 MDT 2008

Bob,

I just recently installed a newly rebuilt sideshift trans and 28% out of extra parts I had laying around.  I haven't been on a long trip yet to log mileage benefits but it really lowers the RPMs when kicked in.  The real test will come at SE Classic in September....Atlanta to Lynchburg, TN.  Lower RPMs means lower fuel consumption.  At $4.39 per gallon these days, it should pay off rather quickly.

By the way, it is matched with the 3.54 rearend too.  First gear starts on inclines only and second gear on level or downhill starts.

John Homonek
Atlanta AHCA
1959 BN7 - 1960 AN5 - 1974 Jensen-Healey