[Healeys] 3.5 Rearend (was Re: On the Road Home from Conclave (Day 4))

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Mon Jul 7 08:10:50 MDT 2008

Hi Steve,

re:
"This route takes you up to a little over 9000 feet, which is enough to
cause the Healeys to start to run out of puff -- and both of our cars
are equipped with the Lempert gears also, but what the gears give up in
the mountains they more than make up for in the flatlands."

With 6 forward speeds to choose from, I don't see how the taller
("Lempert") diffs "give up" anything.  Yes, a grade you might take in
4th/OD with a 3.9 might have to be taken in 4th/straight with a 3.5, and
so forth, but I don't really see that as a problem (4th top might be a
little low, but you have a little extra torque to play with, whereas
4th/OD leaves little to spare, esp. at lower RPM).  And, there's always
3rd/OD (which I often forget to use).  For the twisties, 2nd becomes
much more usable in the hills, whereas it's often too low--and 3rd too
high--with a 3.9.

The only "downside" I see with the taller rearend is that it takes a bit
more finessing the clutch to get a smooth start in 1st, but that's not
necessarily a bad thing (first gear is more realistic, overall).

bs

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net