[Healeys] Famous Healey People

Quinn, Patrick Patrick.Quinn at det.nsw.edu.au
Wed Jan 30 16:47:54 MST 2008

G'day

I have to throw my two bobs worth into this.

Although in a way I think it's a pity. Perhaps a few minutes looking at
an atlas will assist as you will see that there is rather a large body
of water between Australia and New Zealand called the Tasman Sea. Just a
couple of weeks ago two blokes finished kayaking from Australia to NZ
taking over 2 months to do the feat.

Now move your eyes a little bit to the left of the Tasman and down the
page - that's south by the way for those who don't know which way is up.
There you will see another island by the name of Tasmania, which happens
to be a state of Australia. Of course the "map tragics" amongst you will
see that surrounding the coast of Australia there are many islands.

However the view of the world exhibited by some friends from the US (the
mainland of which is actually smaller than Australia) is disappointing
and reminds me of a cartoon or drawing I once saw in New Yorker magazine
back in the 1970s and in some ways it hasn't changed. This is despite my
friend Joe and I visiting your good selves and trying to educate you.

It was a scene looking down over the magnificent skyline of New York
showing the buildings with the Hudson River directly behind. Then it
showed an unknown land stretching to a far away coast, and in between
was a large signpost that said "MAINLY UNEXPLORED TERRITORY". Then there
was a mass of blue with King Neptune next to the words Pacific Ocean.

Hopefully the views of most of us have changed over the years.

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn
Sydney, Australia