[Healeys] Tanner Restoration Redux

Editorgary at aol.com Editorgary at aol.com
Tue Jan 15 00:04:53 MST 2008

In a message dated 1/14/08 9:14:58 PM, healeys-request at autox.team.net writes:

> radiator shroud sprayed not hand painted
> >> 2nd] coil
> >> 3rd]  turn controller appears to be highly polished or chrome
> >> 4th]  Hydraulic "can" no letters
> >> 5th]  Carb dash pots highly polished or chrome
> >> 6th]  wrong hose clamps
> >> 7th] no rivet/washer for bonnet buffers
> >> 8th]  temp capillary tube only has 2 coils
> >> 9th]  carb linkage wrong "colour" clamps
> >> 10th]  V/C grommets are white

Looks to me as if the radiator guard is brush painted, based on the uneven
edge of the shadow.
Coil looks correct to me, with correct label mounted in correct place.
The turn indicator control is correct.
Brake/Clutch reservoir has correct lettering
Carb dash pots may have been carefully polished, as was generally done when
prepping auto show Healeys in the period, but since the material hasn't been
changed (e.g. they're not chrome-covered), that wouldn't merit a deduction.
Hose clamps are correct.
Bonnet buffers have rivet properly inserted from inside, with hidden ends on
outside.
I don't recall any specifications on number of loops on capillary tube; the
important thing is that it is correctly fastened with a rubber strap to the
heater return hose on the engine side of the loops. BTW, note that the clips
holding the capillary tube in place are properly painted black, and the heater
return pipe is painted engine color.
I don't see anything wrong with the carb linkage clamps. They look
zinc-anodized to me. What's wrong with that?
What's a V/C grommet?

Only things that jump out at me are the wrong style spark plug boots and the
later period numbering rings on the H.T. leads, as well as possible
incorrect-for-the-period lettering on the radiator cap.

On the interior, I think that the fan control/heater valve knob is there,
just not clearly shown in the shadows of the picture.
If I were doing this, for aesthetic and spec-correct trim considerations, I
would have used dark green piping and green carpeting with the "linen" (or
grey) upholstery, then argued that the exterior color was a bad shade of
Pacific
Green, which would reduce the point deductions significantly. As it is, I
think
the dark color on the floor is just period-optional rubber floor mats.
The gear shift shaft is the correct single-bend version for an early BT7.
Hard to really say if the crash pad is too overstuffed, or not, but that
would be a very minor deduction.
Aside from the non-standard color of the top (Tanner must have had it died to
his specifications), the only criticism there is a slight wrinkle above the
B-pillar.

But I do find it fascinating that several of the critics of the car seem to
be less familiar with the Concours Originality Standards than the restorer of
this car.

And I stand by my earlier statement; this is a quality restoration with a
stunning and tasteful choice of colors and materials, and I expect it will do
extremely well in the auction, possibly even setting a new price level for a
"Mark I" BT7. I would also bet, by the way, that we'll never see it at a
Healey
event, more's the pity.

Cheers
Gary