[Healeys] steering column felt bushing

William Berg williamsantiks at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 15 14:52:59 MST 2008

It is tempting to lay in the oiled felt bush in the outer shaft, then slide
the steering column in to place
The problem with the early steering boxes is that the ball bearings are
loose.
As mentioned by someone else, heavy grease and some delicate handling allows
you to fit the end with the peg
while trapping the bearings in the correct place. The problem with prefitting
the felt bush (especially if
you are unsure if the thickness is correct) is that it sliding the shaft into
place tends to push out the felt bush.
The oil is, I believe, original on the bush, necessary and will help it break
in.
Even if the felt bush is the correct thickness, it is new and will compress
with time. Better that this bushing is snug at first, don't you think?
I fit the steering column with bearings in the correct place bolted the base
together and then, shoved, twisted cursed the felt bush into place
between the outer and inner columns from the top.
Seemed like it took forever but it is snug and turns freely, Good Luck-
William Berg