[Healeys] Tall guy in a BJ8

Carl Johnson healeys at carlivar.com
Tue Jan 1 23:05:28 MST 2008

Hi all,

I posted a few weeks ago about my "garage sale find" 1966 BJ8. I've
finally got the car home in my garage. Haven't sat in it much since I
removed the seat cushions right away in order to clean them. However
while moving the car around I've now sat in the drivers seat with the
cushion in place.

I'm now rather worried... I simply don't fit. I'm around 6'4" or 6'5".
I can sit down in the seat but my knees are really high, especially in
relation to the steering wheel. The pedals are too close for me to
operate them safely.

Any suggestions? It looks like the rear interior side panels are in
the way for me to modify the rails/pan to go back farther. Are the
pedal positions adjustable? I don't want to even think about a non-
original steering wheel (I really like the correct one and a smaller
size would affect steering feel). I'm thinking maybe a much thinner
bottom cushion would help? I could keep the originals on hand and use
a custom skinny one for my own use perhaps?

Thanks,
Carl