[Healeys] oil leaks

Ron Davies rdavies1 at cox.net
Sun Feb 24 16:02:45 MST 2008

I just found out why I had an oil leak on my 67 BJ8.
I was loosing a quart every few weeks but no smoke. The engine is tight.
The oil absorbant pad under the car had to be replaced every few months.
I replaced the sump drain gasket since there was always oil on the tip of
the drain plug. I tightened everything that could be tightened.
When I got under the car there were always drips forming at the lowest
points under the engine.
I have the proper gasket on the dip stick.

What I didn't have was the proper friction on the dip stick achieved by
slipping a screwdriver inbetween the two pieces of metal at the top of the
dipstick. A slight turn gave the proper friction seat of the dipstick and no
more oil leak!
I had no idea you could loose so much oil from the dipstick tube if the
dipstick didn't fit snugly.
Hope this helps someone else.
Sincerely,
Ron Davies