[Healeys] Driving to San Diego

Healey Bruce healeybruce at roadrunner.com
Sat Feb 16 23:26:59 MST 2008

I drive from north OC to San Diego fairly regularly.  A few observations:

1. Time it right.  Try to go through LA/OC between 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m.,
if you go through at all during the day.
2. The 118-210-15 route would be longer, but, especially if you hit the
above times, likely less congested.  However, the temps on I15 will probably
be higher than on the I5.  Scenary on the 5 is better, too.  Keep in mind
that in the a.m., traffic on the 210 is heading west, so you'd be going
against traffic. The 15 would be heavier going north in the a.m., so you'd
also be going against traffic.  I don't drive the 118 often, but I've seen
it be heavy going west in the morning as well.  So, in general, the earlier
you go that route, the better.
3. Speed limit on the I15 is 75 mph, vs. 65 on I5.
4. The HOV lanes can be a mixed bag.  If the freeway is open, expect the HOV
lanes to run 75-80.  If you aren't wanting to run the Healey at those
speeds, expect frustrated Escalades riding your butt.  If the freeways are
crowded, the HOV lames may be marginally better, but not always.
5. PCH/Route 1 through the LA basin is NOT fun.

I'm probably not going to be able to go down until Wednesday.  I'd be
interested in doubling up on a room, and caravaning down from OC, if anyone
else is going down on Wednesday morning.

Bruce Steele
1960 BN7
Brea, CA