[Healeys] Driving to San Diego

Editorgary at aol.com Editorgary at aol.com
Sat Feb 16 18:15:11 MST 2008

In a message dated 2/16/08 4:53:14 PM, rwil at sbcglobal.net writes:

> Try to have two or more people in each car so you can use the diamond lane
> through LA and points south. It can save you a lot of time and potential
> overheating.
>
> Stay away from hwy 1 through LA unless you like stop lights and heavy
> traffic. Fron Oceanside south old 101 (Hwy 1 more or less) aka the Coast
Highway
> has a lot of stop lights but you do get to see the ocean now and then.

Ah, there's the rub. Perhaps the most panicky moment of my Healey driving
career was in the diamond lane on the 405 at about 11am on a Friday (coming
back
up from the last S.D. meet), eight lanes from the shoulder in 70 mph freeway
traffic, when my engine stopped.
Thankfully it restarted again almost immediately (turned out to be a frayed
wire on the advance plate in the dizzy grounding against the case at full
advance, when I finally found the problem a few days later) but it took my
heart a
few more miles to restart.
I swore then that I would NEVER drive the diamond lanes on the 405 in a
Healey. And ever since, whenever I'm transitting from one decent road to
another on
the freeway, I'll stay no more than one lane from the right-hand lane.

So, call me a wimp, but I'd prefer stop-and-go on a four-lane city street to
go-and-then-stop in freeway traffic.

Having been dissuaded from the idea of I15 because of the heat, I think I'll
stick to the PCH and try to do it early in the day on the weekend.

Cheers
Gary