[Healeys] lead to BJ8, also what TR owner's opinion on the car

Pete Groh pete_groh at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 15 12:15:56 MST 2008

Date: 2008-01-31, 2:46PM EST
1965 austin healey 3000 BJ8 - $11000
BJ8 project car for sale.All#s matching car.Needs TOTAL
restoration.$2000 worth of new floors,rockers,fender panel etc
included......
_1965 austin  healey 3000 BJ8_
(http://albany.craigslist.org/car/558555458.html)

Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 08:48:54 -0500
From: Doug Mathews >
Subject: Re: [TR] 1965 austin healey 3000 BJ8
Saw an article in the Atlanta paper I belive and a guy put over 100k
into his I belive...It really depends I guess on how particular you
are.  I'm sure most of the $$$ was for labor hours.
Doug
At 08:42 AM 2/15/2008, you wrote:
>took a look at the listing. I know the AH3000 is a nice looking car
 with
>some umph and in demand, but is that project worth 11K?
>I have to wonder how much more $ would have to be invested to complete
 therestoration.
>Does anyone have a guess ?
Bob
I have restored two E Type roadsters in about the same shape.

It would be nice if the car was in better shape than it is, but its
 most
important that all the parts are there.

For instance, to me, it doesn't matter what shape the engine is as long
 as
its rebuildable as i will rebuild it anyway.
It doesn't matter what condition the transmission is in as it would get

rebuilt anyway.
Instruments , in the grand scheme of things, don't represent that much

money. I have paid about that much for each of my E types, in about the
 same
shape. I spent around $45k on one and ca $60 on the other. I did all
 the work
myself except body and paint, which were my most expensive items.The
 body and
paint cost could be a showstopper unless you could do it all  yourself.

My cars are worth close to what I spent if not a little bit more  so
 long as
I figure my labor at .01/hr!
.
It also doesn't matter a lot to me whether the cost is $10k or  $12k if
 its
going to end up being a $80,000 or so  freshly restored big  Healey.
Just my opinion.
Best,
Mike Moore

Fairly easy to build a vintage racer or facsimile thereof.  To restore
 it to an original street-equipped car would cost a fortune.  Better to
 take that fortune and buy a better car in the first place.

--
Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul Minnesota  USA
1962 Triumph TR4 CT2846L,