[Healeys] dos & don'ts on an engine rebuild

Brits'n'Pieces (Eric Frenken) lists at brits-n-pieces.com
Wed Feb 13 14:10:49 MST 2008

Hi everybody,

I'm in the process of building up a 3000 engine from scratch. What I have,
is:

engine block (with some slight injuries on the cylinder walls)
crankshaft
connecting rods with pistons
camshaft
tappets
push rods
rocker shaft complete with rockers
cylinder head
valves
oil pump with strainer
oil sump
flywheel
inlet & exhaust manifold(s)
a pair of HD8s

A friend of mine is doing the work, so I'll be the spectator and maybe
sometimes the advisor.

-What are the things that you never would do and the things that you always
would do during an engine rebuild respectively an engine build-up (except
drinking beer)?
-Which parts would you buy new in any case and which parts would you reuse
after close inspection from an expert?
-In case you would buy a certain part new would you buy a standard or
uprated part?
-Where or from which company/individual would you buy it?

I'm heading for a mildly tuned engine with a nearly steady power output
between 1,000 and 6,000 rpm.

Any and all advices are most welcome. Thanks for all your thoughts.

Eric