[Healeys] Tony Ambrose

Peter Dzwig pdzwig at summaventures.com
Tue Feb 12 16:08:29 MST 2008

Having picked up my copy of Motor Sport and then set it down again for a few
days I had missed the news of the sad death of Tony Ambrose, who I had the
pleasure to know - if only briefly. Tony was probably "the Co-driver's
co-driver". Having won the 1956 RAC Rally in the Aston driven by Lynton Sims he
partnered the Flying Finns winning the 1963 Alpine Rally with Rauno Aaltonen and
the 1964 Tulip Rally  with Makinen. In 1963 he and Aaltonen had a near miss in
the Liege-Sofia-Liege while competing in a Healey, but won it in a legendary
drive in 1964> together they won five events in the 65 European Champoinship
including the RAC to tale the title. He retired only to come back to run the 68
London-Sydney Marathon and the 1970 World Cup Rally.

I met Tony when researching PMO 203. Tony had been out of Healeys for some time
in 2002 when I met him and was got him to come along to the 50th Anniversary
Meeting at Thruxton. It was great to see him linking up with his old friends.

He will be sorely missed.

Peter Dzwig