[Healeys] Wing Mirror Placement

Jack Feldman qualitas.jack at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 04:46:01 MST 2008

I wonder if someone could verity this for me. My first AH was a sprite and
the mirrors were extra. When they were installed they were on the wings over
the front axle. I found that I could get a great view of the road without
turning my head and have installed mirrors in that spot from then on, even
moving the mirrors on my B from the door to the wings.

I had heard that British law mandated the mirrors be put on the wings. I am
watching an old 60's series called Danger Man in England, and Secret Agent
in the US (two Healey sightings so far), and even the cars that were
supposed to be in a foreign country had wing mounted mirrors. One car, which
looks like a DeSoto (and I am dating my self by recognizing it), even had
wing mirrors. Interestingly enough, the same car appears in a number of
episodes with different owners. I guess they were far ahead of Tim Allen in
getting paid for using a car from their personal collection.

Did British law mandate wing mirrors at one time? I have some English MGB
catalogs  which have have the mirrors on the doors. Some are shown with no
mirrors.

Jack