[Healeys] Oil article abour ZDDP

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Wed Feb 6 10:31:41 MST 2008

Hi Mike,

re:
"I did see that the spec sheet says "ashless".
Well, I don't want to find out someday that we need ash."

Ash is the residue when the oil is "cooked" in lab tests.
It's what leads to sludge, so less is better.  I doubt any oil is
completely "ashless," but I think this implies the oil has
dispersants to keep the ash in suspension (aka "ashless
dispersant" oil--not to be confused with "detergent oil").

bs

Bob Spidell         San Jose, CA        bspidell at comcast.net