[Healeys] steering box rebuild

Ray Juncal healeyray at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 3 16:09:35 MST 2008

List:
    I am still working on rebuilding those BN-1 BN-2 steering boxes.  ( I'm Making two out of the three I have on the bench )  A real job came up and delayed things a couple of weeks.  Got the last one out of the car and cleaned up yesterday.  One box has cracks at the steering column so that leaves two good ones. I will mike the bushings and replace and hone as necessary.  I also intend to bore the seal diameter about .090" deeper and fit two lip seals.  I did this on the idler bodies and it puts the lip seal on a part of the shaft that shows no wear.  All the pegs look good so I'm OK there.  Of the three worm gears one has very deep wear but looks smooth, the other two show much less wear but have tiny pitting on the bearing surface.  How much will the pitting affect things with such a slow moving bearing?  What is the group knowledge on the best repair?  If I can find new worm gears I can cut and re-weld the steering shafts.  It doesn't look like the later worm gear will
 fit the early box.  Is there a source for the worm gear?  If I just put the best parts together I will probably have pretty good boxes but it's not a job I want to do twice.  Especially after the car is all painted and pretty.  Anyone got any ideas??  Answer on list so we can all share.
Regards
Ray Juncal