[Healeys] Re-installing Tranny?

Rich C richchrysler at quickclic.net
Sun Dec 28 11:07:27 MST 2008

Scott,

George Haywood has a lot of good tips on the installation of the gearbox
back into the car. I will add my 2 cents worth. Assuming the gearbox is out
of the car and the engine is supported as needed from under the car, I
always suspend the gearbox/overdrive assembly from above with a chain falls
and soft rope slung around the adapter plate of the o/d. On the 6 cylinder
roadster, you'll want to protect the top of the windscreen from being
scratched by the chain or rope as it lines up right behind the windscreen.
This seems to almost be the balance point of the gearbox assembly with a
slight weight bias to the front. Place the gearbox/o/d assembly across the
floor of the car with the bell housing on the passenger's side. Sling the
rope as above, and lift the assembly slightly off the floor. This
arrangement allows you to press down on the tail flange with your hand to
achieve balance, pivot the whole assembly and guide it gently into the
cavity. Place the gearbox into 4th gear so you can rotate the tail flange
and guide the input shaft splines into the clutch splines. Suspending things
in this way from above wll allow you to tilt the load to the left to clear
the starter motor bulge at the bulkhead flange, then simply start the
splines, then sitting on the fixed portion of the tunnel, place both feet on
the bell housing and push the assembly home. Install the bolts as required
keeping in mind the dowel bolts placed at 11 o'clock and 5 o'clock as viwed
from in the car looking forward.
I've done this many times by myself once the gearbox is lifted into the car
and sits across the floor as described above.

Rich Chrysler

Subject: [Healeys] Re-installing Tranny?