[Healeys] WG: Holes in Frame Rails

Josef.Eckert at t-systems.com Josef.Eckert at t-systems.com
Sat Dec 20 11:53:26 MST 2008

 Now I can give specific measurements for the wiring loom and battery
cable holes in a frame of a 62 BT7 MK2. The car is very original with
all original panels except outer sills.

To start with the battery cable holes. There are 8 holes. The second
hole from the rear is where the rear part of the cross part meets the
main frame rail. The hole is  mid between the welding seem of the cross
part and the rear edge of it. The first hole from the rear is 27.3 cm
back. The third hole is 27.2cm front of the starting second hole. 4th
another 27.3cm, 5th another 27.3cm, 6th another 27.2cm, 7th another
27.9cm, 8th another 15.3cm.
These were already drilled in where the frame was manufactured.

Now to the wiring loom, which is a bit more complicated. Here I found 11
holes. The second hole from the rear is at the same place on the left as
for the battery cable on the right frame rail. The first hole from the
rear is also 27.3 cm back. This hole was not used for a clip. The third
hole is 27.2cm front of the starting second hole. 4th another 11.0cm,
5th another 16.3cm, 6th another 14.3cm, 7th another 13.0cm, 8th another
27.1cm, 9th another 20.3cm, 10th another 7.8cm, 11th another cm, 8th
another 30.4cm.  At number 1, 4 (not sure), 10 and 11 no clip was fixed.
Number 4, 6 and 9 were drilled in at a later stage, perhaps at the
assembly line.
All holes are drilled in about 7 to 8mm from the edge and have diameter
of about 3.5 mm.

Hope this helps a bit. For me I would like to know the reason of the
additionally drilled in holes. Number 9 is because the wiring loom is
routed down at this point from the engine compartment.

Josef Eckert
Konigswinter/GERMANY