[Healeys] Throttle linkage advice

Alan Seigrist healey.nut at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 16:33:24 MST 2008

Andy -

The old felt bushes used on the cross shaft allowed for quite a bit of
play, esp. for manufactered inconsitencies in the shape or
straightness of the cross shaft.

The new teflon bushes are FAR superior, for sure, but may need to be
reamed out sufficiently to allow for free play - your throttle shaft
has to be free moving and loose otherwise your throttle will never
work properly.  The worst part of it all is once the motor is in you
basically cannot access this shaft without removing the motor again!

I'd recommend taking it out and reaming the bushes slightly, bit by
bit, with a Dremel tool until the shaft moves very freely when
mounted.  You may have to iterate this step in and out of the car a
few times until you get it right.  The good thing is once you get it
done poperly, you'll never have to touch it again.

Alan